Friday, March 14, 2008

Momma is home

Momma is home today. I wish that I could say that her stay was good but then I would be lying. The head nurse took it upon himself to come into the room that she was in last nigth (which was semi-private) and decided to tell her and the other patient that they 'better not call the nurse's station again." Yea, I was nice to the Assistant director of the nursing staff this afternoon. I told her if the charge that he was not going to be talk to my Momma like that. I called her doctor and he told me that she could go home. So Monday I have a meeting at the hospital with the Director of Nursing. And I am going to talk to him in the matter that he talked to my Momma. I aslo told the Director that my Momma has a host of issues not to metion AD. Yea, I'm still upset, well maybe upset is not the word, but I'm trying to be nice. If anyone has any suggestions on how I need to handle this, please advise. Because I'm so upset and I don't want to cuss these folks out but I have had enough of these folks not taking care of her when she is in the hospital and then treating her like she is a nothing when it is the patients in that hospital that paying their salaries. Ugh, I could just scream!!!! Sorry for venting!! But thanks for listening !!!

8 comments:

StefanieRose said...

I am just so glad mom is home! I love you galey face. take care of yourself. we all love you!!!!!!

~Betsy said...

Wow - I don't know what to say. I think if someone spoke to my mom that way, I'd be hard pressed not to slap them! I don't have any advice other than to let it all out. Try to stay calm, but be sure they hear all of it. The calmer you are, the more they will tune in and hear you out.

Good luck with this. Some people shouldn't be in nursing.

nancy said...

i agree with betsy gale about trying to stay calm, BUT they definitely need to hear your concerns. try writing it down with you so you don't forget all that you want to say. try not to lower yourself to acting like the staff did. it is unacceptable how your momma was treated and they need to know so i'm glad you will follow up with the hospital.

i ran into the same thing once with russ. i initially stated that i understood that they had more patients than just russ (or your momma in this case) but being stern, or yelling at a person, especially with AD is no way to treat someone, whether they have AD or not. it's a matter of RESPECT. i asked them how they would like being yelled at or treated like a child. i also asked if they had training with dealing with AD, and maybe that should be a high priority for the staff, along with compassion and sensitivity in general. if you state this VERY calmly, there is not much that a "reasonable" (reasonable being the key adjective) person can get upset with or argue about.

stand firm in your ground. remember you are your mom's voice and advocate. ask the director of nursing if he would like someone to treat his mother like your momma was treated!

if you are not satisfied, ask the director who they report to so that you can discuss it with them. hopefully they will listen to you. good luck and keep us posted!

Lori1955 said...

The others have given you such wonderful advice. Please take it. As for me, I would be ranting and raving and cussing them out. Don't do what I would do. ;)

nancy said...

gale,
just wondering how your meeting went yesterday? i'm thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

It doesn't happen often, but after reading this, I'm speechless! I hope you were able to give them "what - for" and that they do not continue this practice with their patients in the future! Unbelievable!

Glad to hear that your mom is home now!

StefanieRose said...

i seriously miss you.

Katmir said...

you have touched on a nerve that won't heal on this end either-- we tend to think hospital staff rise above "because." sadly, it just isn't always so. keep at it, sweet lady. you are mom's advocate and voice and i'm proud of you.

welcome mom, momma!! may you feel and embrace the good stuff you deserve. you're in good hands.