Saturday, October 18, 2008

Apple cidar donut

Yesterday me and DH got up and went to Elijay GA. (north Ga. Moutains) and picked apples. We made the trip to south Atlanta Ga and picked up DH's parents and they went with us. I now understand who DH get his one line zingers from, his Father. I don't know when I laughed like I did yesterday. We had a really nice ride to pick apples and then we come back to his parents and spent the night. We were up at 6 am getting the truck packed to make the 3 1/2 hour drive home. This was a trip that I needed..a little break so that I can come back and take care of Momma. I was about 75 miles from home when my cellphone started ringing. My nephew sent me a text message and said, "Granny wants to know where you are and when you are coming to the hospital?" I called him and ask him to let her know that I was on the way home from getting apples and that I would be there in about 2 hours. I drove straight through, stopping at Daddy's long enough to let the hubby out of the vehicle and I drove on the hospital.
When I got there, she rolled over, laughing and smiling, and ask "Where have you been?" I told her that I went and got apples to put in the freezer for pies later in the year. She wanted to know where her doughnut was. She wanted an apple cidar donut. I took the donut out of my bag and she smiled. So, we shared a donut and cup of coffee. That was the best moment of my day. After she finished her coffee, she told me that she was sleepy and was ready for bed. I got up and kissed her on the forehead, told her "I love you Momma" She told me that she loved me. I was getting my things ready to go and she looked at me and said, "you still here?" I told her that I was getting ready to leave. She told me that she would see me later. I told her that I would call when I got home. God above knows how much I miss her, being at home.
My heart broke into a million pieces. Why, I don't know. There are so many questions that I have no answers too. How I wish that I could take this disease away from her and all the others in the world that has this awful disease.
Yep, I cried on the way home again. I wish so much for my Momma to get better, but in my heart I know that might not happen. But I know without a doubt, that her mind might forget me but her heart never will. That is the what keeps me going.
I hope that everyone has had a good weekend. The weather here is cooling so I know that my friends in the upper states must be getting some really cold weather and maybe snow. Take care and know that there is not a day that goes by that I don't think of you all. Have a great week ..Peace, Love and Happiness...

4 comments:

Lori1955 said...

I'm so glad you had that time away. And what a sweet time you had with your momma later.

You know, your mom may not forget you. Helen didn't know my name but she knew who I was. My grandmother also had AD. She always knew who my mom was but thought she was still a little child. Just remember that even if she ever forgets who you are that she will always know you love her.

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Lori is correct. My mom didn't forget us either. Sometimes she called me by my daughter's name and visa-versa but I knew what she meant and I think she did too. People know when they are loved and wanted no matter what the disability, I think. It's an internal feeling that seems to never be forgotten. You are giving your mother the things she is really needing like touch and comforting words and love. She can sense that and it really does give her peace.

nancy said...

i am glad that you were able to get away, laugh and have some fun and also to come back and share some precious time with your mom.

i agree, when the time comes that your mom no longer remembers your name or who you are she will always and feel the love you have for her.

Joanne said...

I'm so glad you were able to get some time away. Sounds like you enjoyed picking apples and laughing. That's wonderful!

I agree with the others. Your mom will always know that you love her whether she remembers names or not. My mom always says, "there's my daughter," when I pick her up from day care, but she seldom remembers my name.

Memories may fail, but we know we love each other.