Sunday, November 2, 2008

Lazy Sunday morning

Sunday morning, sitting at the kitchen table, Droopy is under my feet snorzing softly, a small fire is burning the fireplace is burning the den, a cool breeze is blowing outside and Momma is taking a nap. I can hear "I love Lucy" in the background on the TV in the living room. Momma's favorite show.

I have been cooking this morning getting lunch and dinner ready. Daddy and David are gathering wood with some friends of the family helping.

Momma has been talking about the Thanksgiving meal that she wants this year. Nothing big, she says. Fried turkey, chicken and cornbread dressing, yams with mallows, peas, chicken and dumplings, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, pecan pies, homemade coconut pie, Red velvet cake and maybe a caramel cake but nothing chocolate. I agree nothing chocolate. Bless her, she says that she is helping me cook this year so that I will not have to do it all by myself. I told her okay we will cook together this year. Then she ask, "how are we going to make chicken and dumplings?" I tell her we will boil the chicken breast, when they are done we will take the skin and bones out and then pull the chicken apart and put it back in the pot. Roll the dumplings, add a can of cream of chicken soup and slowly add the dumplings, making sure that they are not sticking to each other. She says, "Now that's a plan." We both laugh. Chicken and dumplings is something that I didn't learn to make when I was younger. Matter of fact, I think that I have evolved as a cook over the past 10 years. I don't cook out of a box. Most of everything that we eat, I make from scratch. I have a pasta maker that David bought me for Christmas a few years ago and it has paid for itself. I understand what my mother is talking about when she said that she "made it with love". She toook her time and was in no big hurry when she cooked. And feeding 6 kids and her and dad, well she was in the kitchen all day cooking. Breakfast to lunch and then on to dinner. I can remember as a child that Momma made a dessert everyday for dinner. Yes, everyday. I get alot of my ways from my mother. I like to sew, garden, cook, really enjoying reading..(if you get a chance read Merle's Door by Ted Kerasote, a dog lovers book), I enjoy spending precious time with my friends and family, love the grand babies and treasure every moment with them. (Oh, we are going to be grandparents again. one in February and one in April. ) I enjoy time with the girls (the dogs, in which they don't think that they are dogs), I like listening to the radio, and not much on TV.
And I am proud that I am in ways walking in her footsteps.
I hope that everyone is doing well. I hope that everyone has a great week. Take care and know that to my blogger friends that you are in my thoughts and prayers daily. Peace, love and happiness!!!

1 comment:

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

I'd say you are your mother's daughter:):):) She taught you well.

Thanksgiving feast sounds yummy! Can you believe it is almost here? One of my favorite holidays for sure:)

Congrats on the new babies! How fun. It must be surreal to have a grandchild, an extension of yourself.

Thank you for sharing a part of yourself with us. I think sometimes we get very involved with our LO's and we tend to lose ourselves and forget what makes us happy. Take care, keep warm and happy cooking! Sounds like a wonderful day:)